How to Start Betting on Sports — The Ultimate Guide for U.S. Sports Fans
Are you a die-hard sports fan who’s been wanting to get into sports betting? Are you new to the world of sports betting and don’t know where to start? If so, this article is for you!
From deciding how much to wager to learning various types of wagers, this guide will give you the basics you need to get started betting on sports like a professional. Let’s jump right in.
Create a sporting betting account
The first step in betting on sports is to create an account with an online sportsbook. These sportsbooks provide the infrastructure for you to deposit funds, place bets, and track your winnings.
It’s important to choose a reputable online sportsbook when creating your account. A legitimate sportsbook will have great customer service, fast payouts, and a wide range of betting markets.
It’s also a good idea to shop around for the best sports betting bonuses. Many sportsbooks offer bonuses based on the amount you deposit or the type of bet you place.
Set a budget and practice responsible betting
Once you’ve created your sports betting account, it’s important to set your budget. Before you start betting, decide how much money you can commit to wagering on sports and make sure you stick to that budget.
It’s also important to practice responsible betting habits. Never bet more than you can afford to lose and never chase your losses. Remember, sports betting is a form of gambling and there is no guarantee you’ll win.
Understand the different types of sports betting
There are many different types of sports betting. Here’s a quick rundown of the most popular bets.
- Point Spread Betting: This bet is made on the margin of victory or defeat of two teams. One team is the favorite and will have to win by a certain number of points to win the bet, while the other team is the underdog and can win even if they lose by fewer points.
- Moneyline Betting: This form of betting is based solely on the outcome of a game. There is no point spread; all you need to do is pick the team that will win.
- Parlay Betting: This type of bet is based on the cumulative results of several bets. If you win all of your individual bets, you win the overall parlay bet as well.
- Over/Under Betting: This type of bet is based on the combined final score of both teams. You must select whether you think the score will be higher or lower than the posted total.
- Prop Betting: This type of bet is based on individual performance or the occurrence of specific events during a game. For example, you could make a prop bet on how many points a player will score in a game.
Do your research
Before placing your bet, make sure you do your research. Read up on the teams, players, and coaches, and look for any injuries or other factors that could affect the outcome of the game.
You should also take a look at the betting lines and decide if you think the line is a good value or not. If you think the line is off, you may want to consider betting the other way.
Start slow and have fun!
Once you’ve done your research and decided which bets you’re going to place, you’ll have to wait for the results to come in.
No matter how much research you do, there’s no guarantee you’ll be successful in sports betting. That’s why it’s important to start slow — don’t bet too much of your bankroll on one game. And most importantly, have fun!
Sports betting can be an exciting and rewarding way to show off your knowledge of sports and make some money. By following this guide and doing your research, you can become a successful sports bettor.
Good luck and have fun!
What sports can you bet on in the US?
In the United States, one is able to legally wager on professional and college sports including: football, basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, golf, tennis, MMA, auto racing, boxing, esports, and more.
Can you bet on fantasy sports in the US?
Yes, depending on state laws. However, not all US states allow fantasy sports betting. Those which allow include: Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Indiana, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Washington. Check your local laws for specific information.
Can I bet on fantasy sports online in the US?
Yes, you can legally bet on fantasy sports online in the US. Some online sportsbooks offer fantasy sports betting, and in some US states, you can bet on fantasy sports through online sportsbooks or mobile apps. However, the age requirement, state laws, and other regulations vary by jurisdiction. Check your local laws to make sure you’re in compliance.