How Casino Chips Are Made?
Gambling at casinos has always involved casino chips, instead of cash. However, given the high risk factor of casino businesses, casino chips are definitely made with complex and highly secure processes.
The History of Casino Chips
The long and complex history of casino chips can be summarized by the following:
- Back in the day, there were no casino chips so ancestors used strange and interesting objects to gamble at the table like nuggets and gold dust.
- To set a standard means of gambling, only pieces of clay, ivory, and bones were accepted as tokens but were soon forged.
- To eliminate the possibility of forgery, gaming houses started to add unique symbols and attributes to the standard tokens.
Old Method of Manufacturing Casino Chips
Below is a description of how casino chips were manufactured using the old method:
- In the olden days, clay was the major component of casino chips.
- Manufacturers started adding other materials to clay to make the casino chips more durable.
- The compression molding method was used to make antiquarian casino chips.
- The clay chips were retained to a pressure of up to 10,000 psi and were then heated up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Modern Process of Making Casino Chips
This is how casino chips are made using modern processes:
- Most casino chips are made in China since they can provide cost effective methods.
- Casino chips are usually manufactured using the injection molding mechanism.
- ABS plastic is the material used for this method.
- This method involves heating the plastic to its molten state, then forcing the material into molds.
- Professional engineers create the molds while skilled toolmakers are the ones who make the chips that come in either plastic or ceramic.
The Most Expensive Casino Chips in History
Here are some quick facts on the most expensive casino chips in history:
- Vegas casinos are notorious for creating extremely expensive casino chips.
- Some of the most expensive casino chips reach the $1 million and $5 million marks.
- On the other hand, Paris Las Vegas has a $100,000-worth casino chip.
- A luxury casino chip manufacturer was able to create a $7.5million-worth token set.
- Each casino chip of the token set was made with luxurious gems and jewels.
- Over 22,000 jewels and gems were used for the whole token set.
- The token set comes housed in an alligator skin case.
Counterfeiting Casino Chips
There was a time when a lot of people were counterfeiting casino chips. These are some of the facts surrounding casino chip counterfeits:
- The illegal practice of counterfeiting casino chips goes way back in history
- The current design of casino chips are easy to forge–that’s why there have been a lot of attempts to counterfeit casino chips.
- It’s much harder to forge casino chips than most currencies.
- Casinos make it a point to provide the highest security measures in order to prevent forgery of their casino chips.
- Each casino chip is manufactured with a specific weight, feel, and texture.
The Future of Casino Chips
What does the future hold for casino chips?
- There has been a debate whether casino chips will still be used in the next few years.
- A lot of people predict that it will soon be replaced by electronic devices.
- Even though everything’s modern and virtual in this technology-driven age, casinos are on the conservative side.
- Majority of casino players like to see what they’re dealing with and what the others are playing with.
- Since it’s easy to forge anything with today’s technology, casinos will surely improve the security and the unique features of their casino chips.
- There might be advancements done to casino chips in the future, but to entirely eliminate them when playing table games is very unlikely.